ELDER GULL'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Taylor's Farewell Talk


Good Afternoon, Brother Mineer asked me to speak on obedience, and since missionaries are expected to be obedient to be successful. I will be as obedient as I can.  I enter the MTC this Wednesday.  My mission president wants us as missionaries to memorize, some things that will help us as missionaries.  The 1st thing he wanted me to memorize was your purpose in preach my gospel.  It reads:

Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. 

In order to help others receive the gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement I must first have faith.  Like Joseph Smith  and that leads me to the 2nd thing my mission president wanted us to memorize as missionaries, The First Vision.  In Joseph Smith History it reads:


I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me…When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!                             


I have a hard time memorizing things, but I know that through the spirit I will be able to better serve those that I come in contact with while on my mission.  It reminds me of Nephi in the Book of Mormon and what he says to his father:  On Nephi 3:7 it reads:

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Many prophets have said that all able young men should serve missions.  At first I didn't think I wanted to serve a mission, I had other things I wanted to do.  But Heavenly Father knew better, and he prepared a way for me by sending me a good family and good friends.  It wasn't an easy decision to make, but once I decided I knew it is what I needed to do, and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for those that love me.  Like Nephi I will go and do the things which the Lord has commanded.  

I know that as I strive to be continually obedient I will receive blessings.  Near the end of my mission call there is a paragraph that promises blessings for being obedient.  It says:

The Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life.  Greater blessings and more happiness that you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children.  We place in you our confidence and pray that the Lord will help you become an effective missionary. 

Many people feel that the commandments are burdensome and that they limit freedom and personal growth.  But the savior taught that true freedom comes only from following him.  "If ye continue in my words, then are ye my disciples in deed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free,"  God gives commandments for our benefit.  They are loving instructions for out happiness and for our physical and spiritual well-being.  The Lord loves us and he wants us to be happy, and we can only be truly happy through obedience.  I know that being a missionary will not always be easy, but I know that it is something I can and need to do.  

Bear Testimony.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment